shower curtain

I’ve been working on this during movies the last few weeks.  Monday night I finished sewing the ruffles on and now all I need to do is make the button holes and hang it up.

It is loosely based off of this shower curtain from Anthropologie:

I wanted to do wider ruffles and didn’t want multiple colors.  I used 2 sheets from Walmart- I first bought a King sheet thinking that would be perfect, but ended up having to buy a twin also for my ruffles.  I started from the bottom up as you can see in this bad picture. I did each row with one ruffle first before cutting sizes for the rest of the width.

Here’s what it looks like now (a side view). Still on the floor because I am trying to get up the courage to make buttonholes for the first time. Wish me luck!

edited to add: see the finished project here.

This entry was posted in Projects and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to shower curtain

1. Pingback: finished projects |

2. Peggie Sue Jackson says:

If you haven’t gained the courage for button holes – make tabs, a pocket like window curtains or use grommets instead! I love the color you chose!! I have wanted to make something similar for my dinning room. TFS!

3. Rikkie says:

Omgosh i love the different color one! where did you find that at?!

4. Megan says:

Do you have more detailed instructions on how to do this? Thank you.

• kristen says:

Megan, what questions do you have about it? Since most shower curtains are 72×72, I made sure I had my base close to that. My length wasn’t a full 72 since I knew I would be sewing a bottom ruffle on that would take care of the length. I just decided that I wanted each ruffle to be about a foot high so I cut them 12.5 high and then the entire length that I had. then I ruffled each piece and sewed them on. Let me know what questions you have!

5. Laurie says:

How do you make the ruffles?? I want to make this, like today.
    Thank you for your help!!

• kristen says:

Laurie, to ruffle the fabric, you will want to start with a piece that is twice as long as you want the final ruffle to be. Then you will sew across the top with your longest stitch. don’t backstitch and leave a long thread on each end. Then gently pull on the bottom, bobbin thread and it will gather the fabric. You will need to space out the ruffles as you go and pull them towards the center. Be sure to not break the thread. I hope that helps!

• Laurie says:

That helps a ton! I’m excited, this is adorable. Might attempt a tree skirt as well :) thank you!!

• Laurie says:

Ok so maybe more questions… you sew the ruffles piece onto another sheet?

• kristen says:

Yes, once you have the ruffle pieces you sew them onto a background. Each row wasn’t just one piece ( I didn’t have any long enough after I ruffled them) so I added a smaller piece at the end of each to complete the row. I used a sheet and but you could use any fabric. If you are doing a shower curtain and have an old one, you could even use that if you wanted. You would just need to make sure the ruffles cover it up enough. Sorry for the confusion, I need to work on my tutorial skills. :)

6. Laurie says:

No! you’re great and quick!! this helps a ton again :) thank you much!!

7. Tracy says:

I was thinking you could do the same thing with old dust ruffles or relatively inexpensive dust ruffles. Very cute.

8. Haley says:

Can I buy this from you?

9. Ashley says:

You should make these and sell them on etsy!! I love the look but am not talented enough with my sewing machine yet haha

10. Beth Matthews says:

OK, well I dont have a sewing machine, but I was wondering if you thought this could be done by hand with just a needle and strong thread. It might not be as easy or quick, but could we do it by hand??? My stepdaughter and I are thinking of trying this for curtains in her room…thanks! :)

• kristen says:

Beth,
      You can do it by hand, but it will take a while. However, to make the ruffles you don’t have to make the stitches too close, so it should be ok. You just want to have them evenly spaced to make the ruffles look best, but you will see how it looks as you go. Good luck! :)

11. Nikki says:

I purchased my fabric tonight. I was inspired by your project. Yes, the tute could be a little bit more user friendly for dummies like me, but I think I get the gist. I purchased a cheap silky brown. I am scared to try this but I gotta just “do it.” :)

• Nikki says:

Oh! And I’m doing curtains not shower curtain. I think I purchased waaaay too much fabric but I didn’t want to run out. Guess, better too much than too little.

12. Jenny says:

Cant wait….my sister and i are making our shower curtain today. ThAnK YoU for the idea and for posting :)

13. Amanda says:

Thanks for answering the questions posted! I saw this on pinterest a while back and bought the sheets at walmart. I think I’m going to do this today after reading some of your instructions in your replies! Wish me luck!! I’m a it of a sewing idiot!

14. Pingback: ucreate post {ruffles!}

15. soph says:

I really like your dark, gothic shower curtain, but I think it would look even better if you had made the ruffles a bit longer, so they would cover the stitching of the lower ruffle, like the pastel colored one. but great job, anyway- it looks fantastic!

16. Amanda says:

How did you end up reinforceing the holes to hang the shower curtain?

• kristen says:

Amanda,
      I made a buttonhole and then cut the slit. I have had no problems with the holes ripping or anything. Good luck! Kristen

17. Pingback: 25 DIY Anthropologie Knock Offs | Lets Go Sunning

18. Lacey says:

Oh my! That is gorgeous. There was a shower curtain in Somerset Home this month that had ruffles on the bottom that was super pretty. Now I am thinking that ruffles all over might be the thing.

19. Arlene says:

This is fabulous! I plan to make it this weekend. I too have never made a buttonhole and I’m not really confident in my sewing skills. However, I’ll just take my time and it’ll work out….it always does. I may actually just cut a slit in the top of the sheet on each side, so I can just slide the curtain onto the rod. I’ve done that before when I just used plain sheets for curtains.

20. Grace says:

Hubby and I never use the non fitted sheets and I’ve been looking for a project to use the sheets on. This is PERFECT!! Thanks for the idea!!! Now for the execution…. lol

21. Chloe says:

This is awesome! But I too had a couple questions;
    First, is the king size sheet the right size for the shower? Or do I have to measure it out and trim the edges?
    Second, one twin sheet is enough for all the ruffles?
    Lastly, button holes…any advise?

I think this is so pretty! Thank you!

• kristen says:

Chloe,

You will have to cut some off of the king size sheet probably. The size of a typical shower curtain is 72×72 or 70×70. a Sheet is not square like a shower curtain so king size will be bigger than that. I have a button home maker on sewing machine that sews the little area and then you cut the slit. You could just sew a small area yourself like that and then cut the slit or even cut a small slit without sewing. I’m working on a better tutorial soon with step by step pictures and will update the post when it is up. -Kristen

22. Melissa says:

I would like to know if I purchase the material if their is any way you could make us a shower curtain. Everywhere we have looked they are so expensive I can not afford it. I already have burlap colored sheets. It would be perfect. Please let me know if it is possible. Thank you Melissa .

23. Kate says:

Did you fold the ruffle in half or just hemmed the ruffle?